June 1943 - March 1974
Today for Opry at the Ryman and Opry Country Classics Shows
Opened in 1892 as the Union Gospel Tabernacle, Ryman Auditorium was built through the efforts of steamboat shipping magnate, Thomas G. Ryman. The Victorian tabernacle had no air conditioning or dressing rooms, but the Opry fit the Ryman beautifully. The show broadcast from the venue, which came to be known as the “Mother Church of Country Music,” until March 15, 1974.